Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Featured Seller Tuesday!

Today's Featured Seller is…


Bwsilver sells handmade and stamped creations her shop.  
Her work ranges from simple beaded bracelets to custom stamped necklaces.  
Whether your style is simple or abstract, bwsilver seems to have something for everyone :) Read her interview and check out her work!





1.) Tell us a little bit about yourself? What are your other hobbies, what is day to day life like for you?





-My name is Brittany and I love jewelry! Born into a family of an accessory wearing, jewel sporting, silver loving mother and grandmother, the rest is history on how I became interested in making my own jewelry. Aside from metalsmithing my handmade pieces, I love to sew, paint and be crafty. I was an Apparel Design and Manufacturing major at Texas Tech University, and picked up my love for patternmaking and clothing production. As a part of my minor I took Metalsmithing classes and immediately fell in love with the process. It's become a great hobby turned business over the past few years, and I would love to see it go further someday.

2.) What inspired you to begin creating and open your shop?

-I'm a Marine wife, so naturally when the husband is deployed, you are lonely, bored and sometimes depressed. Upon my husband’s first deployment after we got married he wanted to be sure I wasn't sad or bored while he was gone. He encouraged me to buy some supplies and start making my own jewelry since I loved it so much in college. I did just that, and thus, BW*SiLvEr was born in Camp Lejeune, NC in 2007. 


3.) What is your best selling item in your shop? What is your favorite item in your shop?

-As far a bestselling I'd have to say I make a lot of customized Military Service Medallions. More than I can count! Each one is personalized with the last name, and service branch of your loved one. It's a perfect thing to wear around your neck to remind you of the one who is fighting for you. I love to make them!
I also sell a lot of wine stoppers tha tI've made from vintage and antique knobs and findings. They have recently become a hot item for me and have been featured all over treasuries as well as the frot page of Etsy!


4.) What is your biggest struggle as a etsy seller?



-I'd have to say exposure. There are millions of items (especially jewelry) for sale on Etsy, it makes you sort of a needle in a haystack when it comes to people finding one of your items. Unless they are looking for something unique that you make, it's difficult to really show everyone out there in Etsy Land what you have to offer. I try to stay current, take good pictures and update listings and tags as much as I can to avoid being a "lost shop". But as the years have gone on, I've gained more customers and more followers so it's becoming a steady business. But as you all know, luxury items are a tough sell these days with the economic downturn. So all you can do is sell what you can to who you can, hopefully someday soon people will be back on the buying market! 

5.) What's your favorite thing about being an artist?

- Probably the fact that I can create what is in my mind and share it with the world. It's very satisfying to make something you work very hard on, and then sell it to someone who will appreciate your artistry. I also enjoy making custom pieces for people, it feels like a test of my skills and I love to share teh bearings of my talents with others through something they want to express themselves but can't. 

6.) Do you have a crafting "routine"? Are there things in your day to day life (job, family, etc.) that make it difficult to stick to that routine?


- I try to keep up a routine if I can; I'm a busy gal these days so it's important to have one. Lately it's been tough to work outside in my garage (where my studio is) since I'm 6 months pregnant and the heat can be unbearable. I try to work inside mostly or in the mornings when it's not too hot, or in the evenings. I try to take shifts during the day when I'm really busy with orders, that way it's not too bad, and I can get things done in spurts. We will see how things go after the baby comes in early October. Hopefully I can do it all!


7.) I talk a lot about certain fears of creativity, like the fear of failing and fearing that people won't like your creation, do you experience these fears and if so how do you get past them and keep creating?




-It's true, I have fears about whether or not the items I make will sell or if someone will be willing to pay the price for something I worked hard on. It's just hard to know what that target buyer will want and who it will be. I have a lot of items that I've had for years that haven't sold yet. I try to sell them other places besides online, and it helps, but there’s always that possibility that what you make might not sell, and then what? I guess that's why there are always Christmas gifts!

8.) Tell us a little quirky fact about yourself.



- I have a silver toe ring on each foot that I've had on since I was a sophomore in High School! (12 years) They have literally conformed to my foot to the point that when I take them off (which I never hardly do) my toes have an indention! So, I keep them on all the time, I don’t even feel them anymore and I feel naked without them. 


Follow her  
&

Get 15% OFF any item in bwsilver's shop 
with code "15OFF" at checkout! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers