Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jesus Talk

I just love talking about Jesus.  For the first time in a long time I had a really good Jesus talk with someone, and even better it was with my husband.

Going to church with a 10 month old is rather challenging since most of the time I feel like I'm just trying to control him, and not actually listening to the message.  So, tonight while playing monopoly my husband and I listened to the podcast from the church that we used to attend on a regular basis.  The sermon was all about challenges that christians face, like persecution, and challenges that we face with our faith like being fake with God or being a spiritual thermometer (accepting the atmosphere when you walk into a room) versus being a spiritual thermostat (setting the attitude or improving the atmosphere when you walk into a room).  Talking about this sermon afterwards really helped to solidify the things that I recognized in myself from the sermon that I need to change: the things that the pastor called me out on I guess.

Something that I realized about myself are that I have become a thermometer in my relationship with my husband.  Instead of pushing him to be better or practice good habits, I accept where he is at and even if I feel like I am doing "better" I put myself where he is at.  I set my spiritual temperature to his and end up feeling horrible that I'm not growing, and being mad at him because I feel like he isn't pushing me to.  I think this is a challenge that every wife runs into.  The men in our lives are supposed to lead, but what does one do when the person who is supposed to be leading you refuses to grow or is digressing in faith?  I am reminded that ultimately, my bond with God is stronger than my bond with my husband ( a super hard lesson) and that I need to put God and my relationship above all.  So, when my husband isn't growing, I need to keep growing and not wait for him to catch up to me.  Spiritual stagnation can only lead to digression, and I am so tired of being stagnant in my spiritual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers